Friday, January 20, 2012

The Skirt ~ It worked better in my head

Last year I made a dress for Julia out of anti-pill fleece.  It was perfect for a dress-wearing princess in the freezing winter temps.  She still ran barefoot on tile, but at least she was in something cozy!  It still fits her this year, too, and still looks bright and beautiful.


The blue looks so good with her eyes!

This year, a clever Mama decided to go with this great idea once again.  I made Julia a skirt out of fleece, this time a super cute print in pink and brown.

I found a pattern for the poodle-style skirt that makes a full circle on the ground.  As I was rushing through this quick little task, I thought how SIMPLE it would be to just throw a satin-y border around the edge instead of hemming it.  Don't they have some great blanket binding and such at the fabric store?  And the contrast of texture, what fun!  Cozy and silky all in one.  So after Julia wore the skirt a few times, I stole it back and put on the trim.

Hmmm, hmmm, hmmm, tra-la-la! sang the industrious wife, and sweet Mommy.


Jeez, where are we on this hem?  This decorative stitch is taking awhile.


What?  I still haven't hit the second seam which marks HALFWAY around this dumb skirt?!?!

Hours later, the quick little task was complete, after refilling the bobbin right before the last 8 inches.  But that's just par for the course, right?

THEN.

The great idea that had seemed so cute, so original became clear to me.  And as I gazed at the completed skirt, I wondered if Calysta just felt that it would be too mean to warn me of the obvious dangers when she heard my great plan on the phone.  I felt embarrassed.


This is why other mom's don't make fleece clothes trimmed with satin.  Because it looks like a repurposed baby blanket.


I am happy to report that Julia loves it, wears it all the time, including to both Special Meetings.  Mama gets to eat humble pike or pie as the case may be.

6 comments:

  1. Oh goodness! You are so funny. It does NOT look like a repurposed baby blanket at all! I would never have thought such a thing. I understand how it is to get an idea like that in your head though and see it every time she wears it. I think it is so adorable:) Is the top elastic? I wish making clothes for boys seemed as fun...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does NOT look like a baby blanket, although I agree with Kelly that once that idea's in your noggin it's probably gonna stay. I love the print, and the trim makes it so cute and girly! Awesome job!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah, and I am trying to remember... but, I'm pretty certain that we don't have ANY fleece with satin trim baby blankets. and, we've got QUITE a collection. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't be embarassed, Melita. I love it and so does Julia, apparently. What a neat, original idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with the rest! No blanket there! Besides, the adorable fabric does away with any of the baby blanket questions. If it had teddy bears or rainbows you might get off so easy. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're too funny, Melita! Marina and I both loved it when we saw it on her last weekend. In fact, I've been commissioned to make one like it! {And isn't there a saying that goes something like "imitation is the ultimate form of flattery?!"}

    ReplyDelete